Friday, March 17, 2017

My Personal Refrigerator Door

Bloggers Note: Before I begin this post I want to update you on an aspect of my last one. The song parody I wrote entitled "Moonpie" was chosen by the host of the BLT Lunch Break podcast as the latest winner of their weekly contest. I will be getting a commemorative t-shirt and a special package of Moonpies from the Moonpie company. Just goes to show you that sometimes creativity is rewarded.

It seems that you can't go into any retail store these days and without see coloring books for grown ups on display. (BTW I call them "for grown ups" because I once googled "Adult Coloring Books" and you wouldn't believe the embarrassing things that came up. Trust me, you don't want to go there). My wife has about half a dozen of them myself. As a stress relief exercise, the childhood of activity of coloring, has made a real comeback these last couple of years. 

My wife is one of those many who subscribes to coloring as a means of relaxation; me not so much. My stress relief activities are usually limited to assembling Lego kits or writing blog posts. 

But that's not to say that I don't like some coloring every once in a while. I don't do the coloring books and colored pencils thing. I use the Paint program on my laptop. 

Since August of last year, I have made some original art straight out of my own creative genius. Okay the use of the words "art" and "genius" may be a little extreme but I have "painted" some pictures. 

This on-going creative process falls under the philosophy expressed by Disney's movie executive, Don Hahn. The animator/director/producer wrote in his 2011 book, Brain Storm, that it doesn't matter if the product of your creativity is "good" or not. It's the process that's important.  

Since this is my blog and I can post anything that I want to, I'm going to use this post as a my very own personal refrigerator door and display some of my creations. Hope you like them. 

This was my very first attempt at drawing with MS Paint. I was just exploring what I could do with it. 


  
Drawing #3 shows some better use of the application and a yet another glimpse into my imagination. 


"Lollypop Meadow" is a scenic creation that started out as a picture of a butterfly drawn for my grand daughter. But it evolved into an entire scene. I really like the spider. 


Yet another "fun with shapes" creation. I was just seeing what I could do with the combination of geometry and color. 


A peaceful night scene featuring stars along the shore.

These next few pictures are my favorites. They are a lot more visually pleasant than my initial efforts. 



  
Finally, I am saving, what I consider, the best for last. This one, which I call "Shaded Shattered Glass" is my favorite. 

So there you have my personal gallery exhibit. I've spent a lot of hours drawing and filling in those pictures. Had to show someone. I have always known that I was not very talented when it comes to drawing. But, sometimes, the gift of creativity that God has given me comes out in what ever what it can find. 

Hopefully, this will encourage you to try your hand at something creative. If you are somewhat hesitant, let this post be an example of the fact that it doesn't matter what the results are. Just like the lyrics of the Joe Raposo song first heard on Sesame Street back in the 70s and made popular by the duo "The Carpenters" say, "Don't worry that it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing, sing a song." Or in this case "draw". 

Now go on and be creative. I'd love to see what you come up with. 

No comments: