Thursday, July 10, 2014

Setting Up My Studio

Back in January I wrote a post about catching up on recording my Rewind programs. At the time I had 2 scripts to be produced. I managed to record one of them; the 2012 soundtrack show. This was done by the first week of March.

Since then I have written the script for the 2013 soundtrack. I haven't gotten back to the church to do any recording though. In addition, I haven't been able to set up my in home studio. 

But because I have my new desk I am ready to finally get my home "studio" put together. Here is what I'm going to combine to make my new recording set up.

   The key component in putting all the audio elements together is this stereo sound mixer. I've had it for about 3 years but its been sitting in the box until now. 

Now I know there are computer programs that serve the same purpose. But I'm "old school" and just like working with a sound board. 

 The input for channel 1 on my mixer will be my Ipod. I've used it as a music source for all my Rewind programs since I started recording them again back in 2010. 

With over 11,000 songs and dozens of podcasts and audio books on it there's no doubt that if I want to include one of them in a show, I've got it on my Ipod. 

The 2nd source for music will be the I-Tunes on my desktop computer. This will allow me segue between songs. 


Of course I can't do my "DJ" voice over thing without a good microphone. This Samson Q2U USB mic is the most recent acquisition for my set up. I got it a couple of months ago. 

I had been looking a mic that would be able to help me with recording "Rewind" and be used should I decide to venture into podcasting some day soon. 

I learned about this mic when it was recommended for quality digital recording by "Assembly of Geek" podcast host, Scott Murray. 

It's very versatile and can be used through the sound mixer or directly connected to the computer.   


 Using the digital recording program, Audacity, I will be recording my Rewind sound files on my laptop computer. 


With my desk as the base for recording, once I get all the cable connections made and the sound levels adjusted I look forward to beginning a new era of program production. 

I haven't had the convenience of being able to record a Rewind script at home in nearly 12 years. But at this point I'm looking a bit beyond my Rewind shows. 

In this day and age it's so easy to get your message out to the world through the internet. Once I've got my studio set up who know what may be recorded there. 





No comments: