Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Family Visit Top Ten: Part 2

Halfway through my list of memories from my sister's visit to Kentucky in the middle of July. Here are some more things unique to this year's time together. 

Movies, Lego & Lodging
As a means of making things a little more convenient for Bob & Shari I set up Michael's old bed in a back bedroom so Bobby could spend the nights here at the house while on vacation. 

This meant I would have the chance to spend a lot of late nights with my nephew watching TV and talking. 

On Monday night our whole group sat and watched "The Lego Movie". Bobby loved it and proudly announced afterwards that it was now his favorite movie.That  enthusiasm would converted into action later in the week. 

Also on Monday night, after everyone else had left the house and Paula had gone to bed, Bobby and I watched one of my favorite movies from last year, "2 Guns."

Tuesday night we watched my #1 favorite movie from last year, "Now You See Me." Bobby liked both of them. 

On Tuesday afternoon after lunch at a local buffet with most of the family, Bobby and I ran some errands. He had asked if he could drive the Vue so he could learn the geography of the area. Along the way he played some of his favorite music from his cell phone for me.  Again, it was a very good time. 

But the most memorable things that I shared with Bobby during his visit had to do with our shared enjoyment of Lego. 

On Wednesday night I got out all the unopened Lego sets that I had and allowed Bobby to choose one for us to put together. He chose one of The Lego Movie sets. 

We sat down to work at the kitchen table; a place I've never worked on a Lego set before. While he did most of the assembling over the next couple hours the two of us worked together to make the key "build" of the main character from the Lego movie. 

I will be putting a video on my You Tube channel later with the details of what we built but for now here's a picture of the two of us proudly displaying our cooperative effort. Warning: if you have not seen the Lego Movie this picture might be a bit of a spoiler. 


On Thursday when we went to Nashville I amazed my nephew by getting him a gift at the Lego store. It was something that he told me he really wanted. I was more than happy to get it for him. I got one for myself too. 


On the ride home from Music City that night he and I talked about the Beatles and listened to their music. 

It has now become a tradition for Bobby and me to hang out and talk about everything while he's here on vacation.

Ironically, and I mentioned this to him, we hardly ever talk the rest of the year. Bobby says it's because he's not good talking on the phone. 

But since both of us have the same Lego model to build now I'm sure we'll keep in touch more in the up coming year. 

Steak & Shake with "The Girls"
Even before she got to Kentucky this year, TeeJai told us that she wanted to go to Steak & Shake for a hamburger. On Wednesday afternoon Brandi; her niece, Lexi; and my granddaughter were nice enough to take TeeJai to our local Steak & Shake for lunch. I was invited to go along. 






As you can see we all had a good time. TeeJai liked her burger a lot. I made sure that she and Lexi had a milkshake too. 

After lunch we went shopping at Hobby Lobby. Aria and I had a unique "first time" experience there. Keep reading for details later in the list. 

That's part 2 of my "family vacation" list. There's 3 more topics to cover. One of them was a day filled with celebration and a really thrilling surprise. Another is a bittersweet moment that happens every time any of my PA family comes to visit. 






  











No comments: