Sunday, June 8, 2014

Here's The Real Story

If you would indulge me and go back to the title of this post and sing it either out loud or to yourself using the opening bars of the theme from "The Brady Bunch" you will help me set the tone for today's post. I have something to tell. I'll wait.....Did you do it? Good. Here I go. 

Yesterday, while I was working on something on my laptop in the living room I had the TV Land channel on our LG television.

The Brady Bunch was on. I wasn't paying much attention to the episode that was on,  "And Now A Word From Our Sponsor" from Season 3. It's the one where the Brady's are chosen by a TV commercial director to be in a commercial for a laundry detergent called "Safe". 

Of course being the honest people that they are the Mike, Carol & family couldn't endorse a product they didn't think was better than the brand they used, "Best."

So they have a "wash off" between the two products. To facilitate the contest the 6 Brady kids are told to go out and get their clothes as dirty as possible. 

It was at this point in the episode that I had to get up off the couch and leave the room for something. Although I'd seen the episode many many times before, for some reason I decided to pause the show so I wouldn't miss anything. At the time Jan and Marcia were getting ready to paint each other's shirts with blue and red paint. 

I hit the "pause" button on the remote without looking at the screen. When I returned to the living room I looked up to see that I had paused the show in a very interesting place.    
This is what I saw. 

Yes, it's the very same picture I showed you in yesterday's post. 

My eyes were immediately drawn to juxtaposition of the red paint on Jan's shirt, the expression of a scream on her face, Marcia's arm extended directly into Jan's chest, and the smile on her face. 

Being a fan of TV crime shows my mind interpreted the paused screen to be a scene from an attack instead of what it really was in the context of the show. 

I asked myself the question, "What if this was a scene from a 'Criminal Minds', 'Law & Order", or "CSI" episode? What if one of the Brady kids turned out to be a murderer. I know it's kind of strange way to think but that's where my mind went. 

In this day and age when the entertainment industry is "rebooting" anything and everything that has been popular in the past, taking the story in a different and sometimes totally opposite direction; I thought, "what if at some point the Brady Bunch writers had tried to take their show down a dark corridor?"

That's when I came up with the idea to make up the "urban legend" type story about the Brady Bunch that I posted yesterday. The fictional story is a complete fabrication from the mind of me, your friendly blogger. 

 I started with the picture, my interpretation of what it was, and worked backwards. I filled in the details as I went along. I had to do my best to make it as plausible as possible. I added show business mystery, conspiracy, secrecy, and subversiveness. I did my best to cast doubt on the complete wholesome image that everyone who grew up with the Bradys has of them. 

Of course the stories told over the years by the actors from the show have done that better than I ever could. 

But in my little "Brady urban legend" creation project, I wanted to make it a story that some of you might at least wonder if it was true. I know it's been 2 months since April Fools Day but when I hatched this idea I just couldn't hold back. 

So if confession is good for the soul then I'm fine with this post serving as my redemption. If nothing else it was a great creative exercise for me. Hope you liked it too.  

No comments: