Monday, May 5, 2014

The Importance Of "The Isle"

Today, as promised, I am going to explain why "The Flavor Isle" is more to me than just a locally owned counter service restaurant.

The Flavor Isle is at the corner of Main and 1st Streets; half a mile from my front door. That distance makes it a halfway point for my 1 mile walks through the grove over the last 10 years. 

When we adopted our first dog, Dory, at the end of January 2004 it soon became my responsibility to take her for a walk. After getting bored walking about the cemetery at the end of our road I decided to take her through town. 

For both of us a one mile walk was the perfect distance. So after some "research" I discovered that the Flavor Isle's corner was the exact place to turn around, cross the street and head back home on the other side of Main Street.

Over the years I have taken different routes to get to the Flavor Isle. These included: Main Street, Cave Street, and the alleys between them.  

When Angel became part of our family in 2005 and grew big  enough to keep up she was added to our walking team. 


I have walked to Flavor Isle and back hundreds of times with my dogs at all times of the day. I've had lots of people say they recognized me as "the guy who walks his dogs through Smiths Grove."

In addition to spending time with my dogs I've listened to many audio books, podcasts, and sermons on my phone and Ipod during my walks.  

I taught Dory and Angel that once we arrive at the corner by Flavor Isle they needed to sit down and wait. They would sit there while I made sure traffic was clear so we could cross over and head back. 

Occasionally, some of the customer's waiting in line or sitting at the Flavor Isles' outside tables would "aww" over them and ask to pet the dogs. This always made me proud because of the way the pups would be calm, still and let the people adore them. 

Since we lost Dory, last July, I haven't done much walking with Angel. Dory loved going for a walk and was so happy doing it. I know it sounds overly sentimental but I still get really sad when we walk without her. 

But I know Angel really loves getting outside too and I still have the blessing of having her as my companion. With the start of Spring and the nice weather both of us need to get back to exercising. 

So very soon I will get out her leash and harness, put it on her and the two of us will head on down Beeler Avenue and through Smiths Grove. 

Some where along the way Angel will stop her sniffing and looking around to look up at me. She'll wag her tail and rub up against me as if to say "thanks for taking me for a walk." 

Once we get to The Flavor Isle we'll both know that we've made halfway through our walk and it's time to turn around and go home.     



    

No comments: