Friday, August 24, 2012

Weekend In Chicago


Introduction
In the first week of August I discovered that my favorite baseball team, the New York Yankees, were going to be in Chicago for a 3 game series during the third week of the month. 

I told Paula that, since I hadn't been to see the Yankees play in person in a long time, I would really like to see them play the White Sox. 

Since my wife had never been to a major league baseball game before we decided to make going US Cellular field the centerpiece of our vacation this year. 

Another factor in our decision to go was the fact that the days between the middle of August and the end of September were probably the last chances for Paula to take time off from her job before her busy time of the year begins. 

So our trip became a combination vacation, birthday,and 10th anniversary getaway. We decided on a 5-day extended weekend, Saturday to Tuesday.

With the baseball game as the centerpiece, I researched and planned our trip. It would be a tour of the best attractions, landmarks, and restaurants throughout the Chicago area. I used the Internet, some travel guides, and reruns of the Conan O'Brien show (he spent a week taping in Chicago last June) to help me. 

I booked a hotel room through Priceline.com. Doing this almost derailed our trip before it even started. I'll explain more about that in a future post. 

I also bought a pair of City Passes. This was a discounted bundle of admission tickets to 5 of Chicago's most popular attractions. 

We left our house at 5 o'clock central time on a Friday night, August 17. After stopping for dinner and a couple of other rest stops we made our way up I-65 through Kentucky and Indiana; then over toward Chicago. Once within the city limits, with the invaluable help of NoVA our GPS, we negotiated through the labyrinth of toll booths and freeways and found our hotel near the O'Hare airport. 


Four Points By Sheraton O'Hare
By the time we checked in, unloaded our luggage, and unpacked it was close to 3AM. When we finally settled into our comfortable king size bed and said "good night", I fell asleep excited about our weekend in Chicago. 

The next 5 or 6 blogs posts will be relating the pictures and details of our vacation. While they will be quite lengthy, I will do my best to keep them as concise as I can without leaving out the details vital to conveying our experiences.  

Come back and find out what happened on our first day in the Windy City. 








No comments: