Thursday, August 2, 2012

Remembering Munson

Yankee Captain: Thurman Munson
Today is the 33rd anniversary of the death of Thurman Munson, the last player to be captain of the New York Yankees before Derek Jeter. Munson was an all-star catcher, 1970 American League Rookie of the Year, and AL MVP in 1976. He was the heart, soul, and leader of the Yankees 77 & 78 World Series Championship teams.


I had become a Yankees fan in 1974 and followed the team even closer then than I do now. The Yankees catcher’s death was one of the most stunning events of my life up to that point.

I remember the exact moment that I heard the tragic news. I was turning into the entrance road of the Hillcrest Mall in Phillipsburg, New Jersey. I was on my way to pick up my cousin, Gary, from his job at a department store there. He was also a big Yankees fan. I was the one who had to break the news to him. I don’t remember much more about that day but I do remember that moment.

The circumstances of Thurman Munson’s death are a testimony to the fact that he was not just an all-star baseball player but a devoted family man. He was killed when he crashed his small Cessna airplane at an airport near Canton, Ohio; while practicing take offs and landings. He had purchased the plane so he could go back and forth from New York to visit his wife and kids on his off days during the season.

If you look at his statistics in the 11 seasons he was in the major leagues you could easily project that he was headed for the Hall of Fame. Unfortunately we’ll never know.

One of the most significant stories that demonstrates the character of Thurman Munson comes from a sound bite I heard on the MLB network radio station on XM radio just this year.

It was told by the Kansas City Royals’ Hall of Fame 3rd baseman, George Brett. Back in the mid-70s the Royals and the Yankees were bitter rivals. During one game a fight broke out between Yankees 3rd baseman, Greg Nettles and Royals base runner.

As both benches cleared a “brawl” ensued. Brett found himself at the bottom of the pile of players; a very dangerous place to be. At one point, Brett looked up and saw Thurman Munson, in full catcher’s gear laying on top of him. As the Yankees backstop used his body as a shield Brett, Munson assured him, “Don’t worry George I got you covered.” That story speaks for itself as to what kind of man Thurman Munson was.

This anniversary of his death is significant because it means he’s been gone from this world longer than he was here. But never the less his memory will never fade. He will forever be the Yankees’ Captain. 

No comments: