Monday, August 6, 2012

TV Memories Week


I am a nostalgic man; born near the end of the World War II “the baby boom”, 1960. I find myself looking back at “the good old days” and while trying to swim through the swift current of today’s ever changing technology.

It is the pop cultural and technologies of both of eras that I will use during this week’s series of posts I've titled, “TV Memories Week.”

While the entertainment centerpiece life today is the computer for those who grew up in the 60’s & 70’s it was the television.  

As a matter of fact the TV’s were literally part of the furniture. There were a lot of different models sold over the years. The range of size and shapes varied. There were even consoles (short for consolidation) that combined the 3 main components vital to “modern” home entertainment: TV, radio, and record player. In the early 70’s 8-track tape decks were added and later Cassette players. (The picture below was obviously taken to display this unit for selling purposes. I don' t know anyone who kept their TV console units in their backyard)



I must admit I am a product of the “TV generation”; probably more so than anyone else I know.  I spent hundreds of hours in front of our family Zenith. The people, places and things I saw on “the tube” had a really big influence on my personality and creativity of today. The only one I know who comes close displaying the degree of TV influence I do is my cousin, Lee.

I could literally write a book about the classic shows and the memories they hold for me. But everyone knows about them and you can find shelves of those kinds of books in bookstores everywhere.

So I’ve decided to make this week of TV posts personal. I’m going to write about some of my more obscure childhood memories. I will be posting about cereal commercials, advertising icons, cartoons and show hosts.

It’s going to be a week of fun posts. Hopefully when it’s over I’ll have brought back some fond memories for you as well. So let’s get up off the couch, turn the TV on (yes, there was a day when there was no such thing as a remote) and get ready for the show.
Tune in tomorrow. Same bat time, same bat channel.

No comments: