Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A "Philippians 4:13" Moment

Today I accomplished a goal I've had for nearly 4 years. Back in 2006 when I was losing weight on the LA Weight loss program I was challenged by a fellow church member.

Deon, lives about 4-5 miles from our church and on some Sundays when there's nice weather he walks there. Now his walking path goes right past my neighborhood. He passes less than a 1/4 mile from my front door on his way to church.

About 4 years ago, when I started walking for exercise, Deon and I had a discussion about walking to church. He invited/challenged me to walk with him some time. I accepted the challenge and vowed that I would lose enough weight and get myself into a physical condition to where I could with Deon. I promised him that one day it would be the two of us on the road to church on a Sunday morning. I tracked the distance with my car odometer and discovered that from the point where I would meet up with him near my house it would be a 3 mile walk. That was something I'd have to work up to being able to do.

Unfortunately it didn't happen that year. Additional weight gain and other physical problems over the next from then until my surgery severely limited my ability to walk 3 blocks much less 3 miles.

Let's flash forward to 2010. With the improvement in my health and an increasing ability to walk longer distances once again the idea of walking from my house to the church rose to the top of my personal goal lists.

Although I don't make it to church that often, due to my work schedule; nearly every time I'v seen Deon I told him I'm working on my "walking to church" goal. I promised him I was close. I just wanted to make sure I could do it before I attempted it with him on a Sunday morning.

I have actually been walking the equivalent distance of 3 miles with my dogs around the local cemetery for a month or so. I just hadn't taken the step of faith and attempted to make the trek down the long road from my house to the church.

Yesterday was April 13. Numerically the date was 4/13. In the morning while standing in front of the bathroom mirror getting ready for work I connected the date (4/13) with a very popular verse from the New Testament: Philippians 4:13. It says: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".

That afternoon, as I thought about my exercise for the day that verse came back to mind. I decided that today was the day I wanted to walk to the church. I knew that my wife would be at the church from 6-7PM practicing with our church praise team. I could walk one way and get a ride back home with her.

So in the bright sunshine and warm temperatures of an early spring evening, about 6:10PM I left the house and headed toward my church 3 miles away.

About a mile into the journey I began to wonder if I had taken on a goal that was beyond my ability. Compared to driving the same road (which I have done thousands of times over the last 6 years) my progress at an average speed of less than 3 MPH was less than impressive. I may have imagined it but I believe I heard a turtle holler "move it or park it, buddy" as it passed me.

Determined that I was going to make it I decided to set my sights on landmarks just ahead of me. I focused on road signs, a church member's house, specific trees, a old abandoned silo, telephone poles; whatever was just a short distance away. Also listening to an inspiring sermon and some fast-paced music on my MP3 player helped me keep up a consistent pace. Before I knew it I was close to the limits of the small town whose main street is home to the church.

About 5 minutes before I got to the city limits sign Paula called me. She wanted to know if I was okay and how close I was. I told I was doing fine. I'd be at the church in 10 minutes. I got into town and began walking through the streets I had only driven through before. Once I got there it was kind of cool.


Sure enough, as I walked down the main street I saw my wife in her car waiting for me. I made it. In 1 hour and 11 minutes I walked 3.2 miles from my house to my church. As I got into the car I was tired and subdued but it was a triumphant moment for me.

With God's help and through the faith and hope I have in Jesus Christ I'd done it. Over the last 9 months I had worked to get healthy and lose weight. My progressive exercise and walking and increased distances had just paid off. I had accomplished the initial step in one of my exercise goals. I knew that something once I thought impossible for me had just come true; thanks to God's work in my life. It was truly a "Philippians 4:13" moment.

Now I've done it going one way I will adjust my goal to make a round trip walk. However first things first. When the opportunity comes up I will meet in the near future I will meet, my friend, Deon at a crossroad in my neighborhood and we will walk the road to church together. I can't wait.

No comments: