Monday, April 19, 2010

Backyard Baseball


This post is about yet another personal victory. It contains 3 elements that I love to write about: regaining elements of my childhood, improving my physical health, and baseball.

One of the many activities I enjoyed as a kid was hours and hours of playing imaginary baseball games in my backyard using a baseball training device called a "Pitchback". At least that's what it was called 30+ years ago. It basically was a trampoline type net set on a small frame that when tilted at an angle allowed you to play catch by yourself.

The combination of several things: the start of a new baseball season, warmer weather, my increasing ability to do physical things, and wanting to find a wider variety of exercise; got me thinking. It sure would be great to start playing baseball or softball again. I decided that the best place to begin pursuing that activity was to start with playing catch. My problem is that I don't have anyone in my neighborhood whom I can ask to throw the ball around with me. That brought me back to the memory of the "Pitchback".

On a shopping trip to Wal-Mart I looked in the sporting goods department and found a 2010 version of my old backyard buddy. I took it home and put it together this past weekend. I set it up against one of my storage sheds and started warming up my arm.

The years melted away and in my mind and heart as I traveled back in time to the backyard of 30 Brainard Street when I was a preteen. I was reliving a part of my childhood. You can see me playing in the picture posted above.

On Sunday afternoon I practiced again. While I was "long tossing" with the "pitchback" I remembered that on Sunday afternoons our church softball team has their practices. I was excited when I realized I knew where there would be a group of guys who would let me play ball with them. I found out where they were practicing and went to the field.

For the next 2 hours or so I did something I hadn't done in about 15-20 years. I played softball. It was fun and enlightening at the same time. I realized just how limited I am when it comes to moving from side to side to field a ball and when it comes to running. But at least I was out there and trying. That's leaps and bounds above what I was doing last year at this time or ever thought I'd do again.

Although I didn't intend to do so when I started out I have now joined the church softball team. However knowing my limits I will only play when they need me as a 10th guy so they can play a game. Otherwise I'll probably just be the scorekeeper.

I can't do much about my lack of ability to run, but as the season goes along I'm going to look for exercises and stretches that will help me increase my flexibility so I can be a better fielder. I'm looking forward to playing the game I love and the Christian fellowship I miss out on because I can't be at church on Sunday mornings.

So there you have the story of my journey back to playing ball again. I'm excited about being a participant in the game of baseball again. As my wife can testify, I love watching the game; but there's nothing like actually being on the field and playing.

I praise the Lord that He has brought me along to this place where I can participate in things make me smile. But the most important thing is at the same time I'm getting to be with people and be in places that will foster opportunities to serve God through serving people.


















No comments: