Saturday, September 26, 2009

"Excuses" Takes On A Special Meaning


Back in August I wrote a post about searching the Internet for songs I knew as a kid. (See August 4th post: 2nd Coming Sunset) In that post I mentioned sending the song to my friend, Gene C. and that the song may become part of the musical ministry of a group called "Inner Light Quartet" the gospel group in which Gene sings.

Later in August I received a phone call from my friend, John, who is also part of Inner Light Quartet and he confirmed that the group is trying to learn the song to sing in during their singing appearances. I felt pretty good about sending them the song because it may eventually end up blessing a whole lot more people than just them.

About the same time I sent Gene "2nd Coming Sunset" I was getting ready to add a song to my ventriloquism act called "Excuses". Its a novelty gospel song recorded The Inner Light Quartet on their first CD. That's where I first heard it.

I liked the song so much I got a copy of the musical accompaniment and started learning it to use in my "Street Party For Jesus" performance. It was like there was an exchange of songs between our two ministries. Prid pro Quo blessings if you will.

Yesterday I found out that the Inner Light Quartet version of the song now holds a special memory for me. The lead singer on "Excuses", Darl, left this world and went to spend eternity with God on September 17th.

Darl loved music, especially gospel music. He was a good Christian man and I knew him for a long time. He was a good friend of my dad's as well. They had a lot of common interests: old time TV, popular music of the 50's & 60's, country music, and the challenge of seeing who could make the worst pun.

In 2005 Inner Light Quartet traveled from Eastern Pennsylvania to Louisville, KY to attend the Southern Gospel Convention. One evening during their stay I went to visit them. We went out to dinner and spend some time back at their hotel just visiting. I took the picture that's at the beginning of this post that night. Darl is on the left.

So now whenever I perform the song "Excuses" in my ventriloquism act or listen to Inner Light's CD I will remember my friend, Darl. I look forward to the day I get to meet up with him again and get the chance to tell him how his part in "Excuses" inspired me to use it in my ventriloquism. I also will be glad to see see how happy he'll be singing in with the heavenly choir.


No comments: