Tuesday, June 30, 2009

One Day...Two Steps

Over the course of our journey together Paula and I have passed several milestones together. We had our first surgeon's consultation together and our preop nutrition class together. Since she's had her surgery first and mine is next week we are on different paths for a while.

Today we each took a key step. This was the day that Paula started phase 3 of her nutritional recovery from surgery. For the first time since June 12 she was able to eat something besides liquids. She had a scrambled egg and some cottage cheese for breakfast. She now has to concentrate on eating slowly, chewing thoroughly, and not drinking 30 minutes before, during or 30 minutes after her meals. Consuming at least 60 grams of protein and drinking at least 64 oz of water each day is now her nutritional goal.

For me today was my last day before I start my 5 day preoperative liquid diet. I tried my best not to have a "last meal" mentality during the day but I did eat a couple of things I know I will miss not having for a while.

For lunch I had pizza from my favorite place in the mall, Sabbaros. For dinner I had chicken fingers from Zaxby's. The only other indulgence I allowed myself was a chocolate malt from Culver's. Theirs are the best in town.

So as I write this at 10:45 PM Paula has had her first full day of the "blended foods" part of her new culinary habit. I have have had my last big meal. I will probably eat some kind of snack in the next hour just for old times sake. Then tomorrow it's a "full liquid" diet. The next step on my way to surgery. It won't be long now
.

No comments: