Monday, June 22, 2009

A Day That Points Toward The Future

Monday doesn't have the best reputation for being a very good day. This Monday, however, proved to be an exception as I experienced a pair of significant events that point toward my future and an unusual shopping trip.

By 7:30 AM I was on the road to Nashville for my preop testing at the hospital. My appointment was for 8:45 and I was finished by 10 o'clock. This means that all the preliminaries for my July 6 weight loss surgery are completed. Now all I have to do is the liquid diet (for 5 days) and get to the hospital that morning. So more than ever my mind and my heart are anticipating that day.

When I got home about noon I had a package delivered by the US Postal Service waiting for me. I knew what was in this package because I had been waiting for it all weekend. I carefully opened it with scissors and scooped out the Styrofoam peanuts. In the box was my brand new ventriloquist figure.

Since the beginning of the year I've been saving my change until I had enough to purchase what most people think of as a traditional ventriloquist figure. It was custom made for me by a man named Clinton Detweiler. Clinton is an icon in the ventriloquist community. For many years he owned and ran the Maher Sudios and sold the Maher ventriloquism home study course. Although he's retired from running the school he still makes vent figures.

At the start of 2009 I decided that my next step in my ventriloquism ministry should be to own a traditional vent figure. That's why I bought the one I received today.

My new figure has the appearance of a young boy and I will develop his voice and character to fit that look. I will publish a picture of the two of us together as soon as I can. I'm excited about having this new puppet because it represents the future for me in the field of ventriloquism.

These two events (the preop testing and getting the vent figure) are both significant steps on the journey into my future. That makes this a remarkable and memorable Monday.

The way this Monday ended is noteworthy as well. Today was my first full 8 hour work shift since my vacation. When I got home from work Paula asked me to take her to Walmart to do some shopping. I was a bit tired but I knew she really wanted to go or she wouldn't have asked me.

So at about 1AM (technically this was Tuesday morning but for the sake of argument I am considering it still part of my Monday) we went to a nearby Walmart. There weren't many people there at all which was a good thing for Paula. We spent an hour walking through the grocery section looking for items such as sugar free flavored syrups, sugar free and low carb ketchup, and other things Paula will soon be needing for her new culinary habits.

It was an usual time to go shopping but it was a good time for Paula to go on her first major outing after her surgery. It cured some of her cabin fever without having to deal with a crowd of people and helped her get ready for the next phase of her new eating habits.

We finally got back home and called it a "day" about 3AM Tuesday morning. Thus ended what I consider a day significant in looking toward the future God has planned for me.





No comments: