Saturday, February 7, 2009

Starting A New Phase of My Job

After 2 weeks of classroom training today at 3:30 I will start working the full scope of the job I was hired to do. Up until I started class on January 26 I was only taking orders over the phone. When I go to work today I will start working in the customer service department.

That means in addition to taking orders I'll be answering calls from customers with questions about returns, refunds and other problems. From what I've heard from some of my coworkers already taking these calls some of the customers can be pretty nasty. But I'm not really too concerned about that. My experience as a cell phone service supervisor and medical claims representative will have prepared and equipped me to handle this job better than those who are doing it for the first time.

Not only does getting into this next phase of my job change what I'm doing while at work; it also changes my schedule. On some Saturdays and Sundays I will have to work noon to 8:30 instead of starting at 3:30. For example today I work 3:30 to midnight and tomorrow I have to be back at work by noon on Sunday.

In addition, all 2nd shift call center workers were told this week that there's a possiiblity that those who are now part time hours can move up to full time if they so choose. That will mean working an 8 hour 3:30 to midnight shif 5 days out of the week. But it will mean getting 40 hours a week again.

For my wife and I, the 2nd shift hours will mean a change in our lifestyle in regard to the amount of time we get to spend together but it will return our household income to the level it was before I lost my job last April. That will help us reach some of our financial goals that we have set for this year.

So things are changing in a positive way at my job. There are aspects of it that I wish were different. I wish I didn't have to work weekends or could consistantly have 2 days off in a row. That only happens once in my schedule for the next 4 weeks.

Just as I wrote the other day I have to remember that God is in control and I must take advantages of the opportunites given to me with a thankful heart. It's not easy sometimes but I'm learning.

POST UPDATE: 10:02 PM- I worked my first day as a customer service representative. I was nervous and a bit confused. Overall I believe I did a pretty good job. I was prepared to work until midnight but much to my surprise the call center closed at 8:30. I got to come home early and spend some time with my wife. This will change the complextion of the weekend at least a little bit.

No comments: