Friday, February 13, 2009

Angel's Anniversary

I should have written this post yesterday but I figured what I had to say in yesterday's post was much more important. But what I have to write about today is about someone who is very special to me.

Yesterday, February 12, 2009 was an special anniversary. It was the 4th anniversary of the day our family adopted our 2nd dog, Angel.

The day we went to pick her up at the humane society in Hardensburg, KY is a day I'll always remember. At the time we adopted her, Angel was supposed to be the responsibility of our son, James. I had agreed to get the dog because he wanted one that he could play with. Our first dog, Dory wasn't very playful. In addition James pet lizard, a blue tongued skink that he got with his Christmas money, died after he had it less than 2 weeks.

Anyway at the time I found myself with a very passive attitude toward the adoption of our 2nd dog. My agreement and "buy in" to the adoption was the beginning and end of my commitment toward this second pet. James said he was going to take care of this new puppy. But because he was a teenager at the time, that arrangement didn't last very long at all.


During the first few days with her it became quite evident that the time and patience needed to housebreak and train Angel was something James wasn't ready for or interested in. Paula took on most of the responsibility because I had a "I didn't sign up for this" attitude toward the puppy. I was very impatient with her and got frustrated very easily.


I grew to love our new little Angel. I mean how can you not love a puppy that's as cute as she was (see picture at the top of this post) Therefore I eventually took on more of the responsibility of taking care of her.

Over the years I have become who does most of the feeding, bathing, and caring for her. This past year, while I was at home because of being unemployed, my place as Angel's "pack leader" grew even stronger. Although she's a family pet; she's really my dog now.

It's hard to believe that 4 years have past and that little puppy grew to be the size she is now (more than 60 pounds). Nevertheless I love her. She's the most devoted and loving pet I've ever had. She's a blessing to have in my life and I couldn't imagine living in this house without her. I'm so glad I agreed to make her a part of our family 4 years ago yesterday.

No comments: