Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Another "Catch Up" Post

A very busy and eventful weekend and early beginning of the week has kept me from posting between last Friday and today. However it's time to write one of my "catch up" posts to bring you up to date on what's happening in my life.

Magic Meeting
A couple of weeks ago I got a call from a man named Steve, who works for the same company as my wife. He told me that he had seen my ventriloquism poster in a local school supply store. He asked me if I'd be interested in meeting with him and a couple of his magician friends to share some stories and experiences.

Last Thursday evening I went to a local pizza buffet restaurant and met with Steve, Frank and Ricky for the first time. It was an very enjoyable couple of hours. It was fun to finally connect with other people who are performers similar to what I aspire to be.

We talked and got to know each other over dinner. As I tend to do when I'm excited I talked a bit too much and told some silly jokes; but I enjoyed sharing with them about ventriloquist. Steve performed a few magic tricks and gave me some magician trade magazines to look at.

I had a great time. I've been wanting to connect with people I have had some things in common with for a quite a while. They may be a bit unusual to most people but to me they are have the potential to become the friends I've been looking for.

Going to Get James
This past Sunday morning about 6AM I drove up Interstate 65 to Louisville to the Kentucky Air National Guard base. I was there to pick up our son, James, as he arrived home from his mission in Iraq. I was the only member of our immediate family who was able to go. Paula had several commitments at church that she couldn't get out of. My son, Michael, and my sister in law, Theresa, were both sick. So it was up to me to get him. His fiance, Brandi, drove up to Louisville with her mom and her niece. I met them there.

The entire 223rd Military Police division was arriving that morning. Hundreds of family members and friends were transported by bus from the nearby UPS employees parking lot to a hanger on the air force base where the troops would arrive.

The service men were arriving from Fort Dix on 2 planes. James came in on the first. The arrival of both planes, and the short ceremony took about 2 1/2 hours. After that James was released from his active duty and soon he, Brandi, and I were in the car on the way home.

The experience of the arrival ceremony was unique. Inside that hanger was a group of people who were a real cross section of the people of Kentucky. There were grandparents, wives, children of all ages, girlfriends, and all other types of family members waiting for the return of their loved ones. It was really a clear illustration of just how much the military is part of our American life. I will remember it for quite a while.

Once we got back home I took James to the church so he could be reunited with his mom. Paula was at a church choir workshop and luncheon. It was wonderful to see her run to hug him when we got there. That moment made getting up early that morning worth it.

Going to get James was a part of a very long weekend for me. Between 9AM Saturday and Midnight Sunday night I only got 4 1/2 hours sleep. It was difficult and I was tired by the time I got home from work on Sunday night but I'm glad I went and got him.

Starting Full Time Schedule
Monday night I "officially" started working my full time hours schedule at ShopNBC. There were some things about working the extra 4 hours on a weeknight that I wasn't expecting. I had to go to a different place in the warehouse to work from 8:30 until Midnight. The area where I worked those hours is even a farther walk from the front of the building than the call center where I have worked since I started. That may not seem like a big deal but having to walk farther than I was used to was something that I wasn't happy about. As it turns out it probably won't be that bad once I get used to it.

Up until now on the weekends , the only times I've worked until 12 since I started the job, I stayed in the call center the entire time. In addition to changing venues while working the last portion of my full time hours I have had additional work given to me as well. The area where I work at the end of the night now is back by the jewelry vault area. Because there's not that many calls for orders at that time of the night I'll be required to do some of the preparation work with some of the jewelry. For instance, Monday night when I wasn't on the phone I had to put adhesive Mylar tags on rings that were to be sold. The tags are put on the rings which cost $450 or more as a means of preventing their return after they have been worn. If the tag is removed the ring is not returnable.

Anyway I've now returned to the world of full time work. I know that these new hours (3:30 to 12) are going to take some time to get used to. I know this because this past weekend I worked until 12 both nights. I didn't get to see much of my wife at all. I know there is going to be a period of both physical and emotional adjustment. However I am thankful to God that I have a 40 hour a week job again. Right now I don't understand the reason for having THIS job or THESE hours but I'm sure it is all part of His Will for my life. I will do my best to be patient and continue looking for what He wants me to do as life goes on.


So there you have an update of what's been going on with me since last Friday. Again I'll continue to keep blogging as often as I can. Its just a matter of having the time and things to write about. Thanks for reading my blog. God Bless You.

No comments: