Thursday, July 4, 2013

Paula's Landscape Project


My last post was about Paula and me building a Lego house; a project that only took us 3 nights over a month or so. But our real home improvement project is moving along a little bit slower. 

We have a long list of repairs, improvements and redecorating ideas for the inside of our house. But plumbing problems at one end and the cat's feeding litter pan area along with cluttered storage at the other have inhibited our efforts.

The outside of the house needs some attention as well. Most of it is just long over due maintenance. 

For a long time Paula has wanted to clear the front flower beds, which over the last few years have become over grown with weeds, and fill them with decorative stone. 

But that project too has taken a backseat to other things. That is until this past week. 

Every night this week, after work, my wife spent time pulling weeds, laying down special plastic, and spreading out pea sized stones in the front yard.  

Although she worked diligently, by Friday night there was still a lot more to be done and she needed more stone. 

In order to finish the project over the weekend, she recruited James & me. Early Saturday morning, I went to our local Home Depot and bought 20 bags of stone. James was in charge of distributing them in the flower beds. (I know with the change over to pebbles they are technically no longer "flower" beds but what else do you call them?) 

When the stone work was finished, Paula added some decorative rocks, a gazing ball, and solar powered landscape lights spaced evenly up and down the two beds. 

The final product made the front of our home a lot more pleasing to the eye. I'll go as far as to say it looks great. 





It's only because of Paula's initiative and determination that we are able to cross this project off our list. I owe her a big "Thank You".

I was so inspired by my wife's example that I finally managed to accomplish something on my own landscaping list: cutting back the pair of large bushes on either side of our deck in the backyard. 

One of the benefits of asking James to come over to the house and help with the front yard was that Brandi and Aria came along with him.   

The sunny skies and warmth of the day gave Paula a chance to let our granddaughter try out the small Disney Princess wading pool she bought for her. 


The young Miss Conner enjoyed the warm water and her new "fishy" pool toys. She also gave her Nana a very cute "Ta Da" pose. 


I don't know about you but all I can say is "Gotta love my pretty little baby"!!!!

By the time Saturday night came both Paula and I were tired, with sore muscles and a rewarding sense of accomplishment. 
It was a great way to spend the first day of the last weekend of the first half of the year. 

No comments: