Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Marvelous Toy


Less than a month ago I was blessed with a plethora of Christmas gifts. Among them were: a DJ sound mixer, a new ventriloquist gadget and my new favorite toy, a miniature RC helicopter.

Recently on her blog my daughter in law wrote that the notebook computer we gave her for Christmas has changed her life. Well, the small radio controlled helicopter that she gave me has changed my “play time”.

I have always been fascinated by helicopters. I’ve always secretly wanted to be a chopper pilot. As of this post I haven’t even flown in a helicopter but it’s on my “bucket list.”
The important role choppers played over the 11 seasons of M*A*S*H is one of the reasons it’s my all-time favorite TV show.

The toy copter is a Venom Micro-V-pro is yellow and black. Its 6 inches long 1 ½ inches wide and 3 ½ inches high. It weighs about 1 ounce. It’s got red and green LED lights and a double set of counter-rotating blades. It’s a very cool little helicopter. The windshield is dark black plastic.

I’ve tried to fly it outside a couple of times but because of it being so light weight even the slightest breeze makes controlled flight very difficult. The last time I flew the copter in my back yard the wind carried it up on the roof where it crashed. I had to get the ladder out of the barn to climb up and get it down. After that experience I decided that such a small light aircraft needs to be flown indoors.

Two or three times a day I charge up the chopper’s battery and fly it around my living room for about 5-10 minutes. The flight time depends on how much it stays in the air or crashes to the ground. 

I don’t exactly have complete control of the flying toy. A lot of time it hurls through the air like an out of control mosquito. Both my wife takes cover and my cat flees the room when they feel the breeze that signifies the bug like whirly bird is getting too close. But when I do fly it right it is so cool. Here's a shot of one of my flights.




So while I am very grateful for all my Christmas presents I really like playing with my Venom RC helicopter. Thanks again Michael and Heather. I’ll be posting stories about and pictures of other Christmas presents later on.



No comments: