Thursday, October 21, 2010

Where Have I Been?


Today begins a series of "catch up" posts to bring my readers, friends, and family up to date on what's been happening in my life the last several weeks that I haven't been posting. I'm not sure how many of these posts there will be but I'll get y'all up to speed as quickly as I can.

I guess the first thing I should start with is where I left off...


Disney Saturation: For nearly 4 months now, ever since I got back from the I-Fest ventriloquist weekend in July, my life has been all about my trip to Disney World. Planning my birthday trip became my prime focus. It engulfed me. It was my passion. Some might say "obsession". I was preoccupied with planning and organizing the trip so it would be the best it could be. That was accomplished. It was a great trip.

But as I wrote the last time I posted with the Disney World trip in the rear view mirror of my life it's time to move forward. This has not been as easy as it sounds. As a matter of fact focusing on Disney and breaking some of the bad habits I have gotten into as a result of our trip has been and continues to be a major battle in my life. More on that in a future post.

Ever since I got back from Disney I've been in what I call a "Disney World after effect". It's just like the day after you have a great dream you can fully remember. It stays with you all day. I've been reliving the trip over and over as I try to write down all the memories for my 2nd Disney World Archives book. I've also started planning when our next trip is going to be and thinking about the details. I've even started saving money for it.

In addition I find myself looking around on places like Ebay for souvenirs that I regret not buying while I was actually in "The World". A couple of them I've gotten are a refrigerator magnet with the year "2010" on it and a Mickey Mouse All Star Baseball figure in the uniform of the New York Yankees. (pictured above)

I've also been drinking my soft drinks in a clear glass cup so I can use the plastic Mickey Mouse ice cubes I brought home with me. They glow and change color just like the ones you get in your drinks at the restaurants in Disney World. I continue to listen to my weekly pod casts about Disney World and have even added a couple. I've downloaded the next 2 audio books in the "Kingdom Keepers" series by Ridley Pearson to listen to as well. The books are about some teenagers who fight evil spirits trying to take over the magical world of The Magic Kingdom.

I purchased pictures from our trip on Disney's passporter website, had them reprinted, and sent them to my family members. I've been showing everyone a couple of pictures of Paula and me in front of Cinderella's castle (one from 2004 and one from this recent trip) to illustrate our weight loss. I am so thrilled that Disney World is the place where we were able to make this comparison.

But as the days of October have gone on I've found myself less enthusiastic about Disney World. I know that it's going to be over 2 years before we go again (the plan is for January 2013) so my interest is kind of fading into the background. I couldn't explain this because, like I said, for over 4 months it's been all about Disney.

But I read an article in one of the Disney Newsletters I get through email that may explain it. It's by Mike Scopa, one of the podcasters I listen to on the WDW Today podcast each week. He calls it the Disney Saturation point. It's where you've had so much Disney input in your life through experience at the parks or other means such as media or doing research that you get burned out on it. I think I've reached that point. I'll have more about this in a future post.

Right now I want to make my first point of "Where Have I Been?" series to be that I've continued to be caught up in the Disney experience but that is changing very quickly in my life. More about what else is going on in my life in the next post.

No comments: