Sunday, July 25, 2010

Triple Digit Mileage


Today was a significant day in the ownership of my Saturn Vue. Five years and four months (1947 days) after driving it off the dealership lot the odometer turned over to 100,000 miles. That's an average of 51.3 miles a day.

A lot of great trips have been taken in that car. I'd have to write a book to write about all of them in detail.

I guess the trips to Pennsylvania to visit my family and driving to Nashville and Gatlinburg for both of our son's weddings are probably the most significant voyages taken in the Vue.

I can't neglect the fact that all the trips to and from Nashville during Paula and my surgeries last year were in the Vue as well. Those were extremely significant.

To some it may not seem like a big deal but the first 100,000 miles driven in this vehicle has been a marvelous journey for me.

Reaching this milestone in the life of my first brand new car also means that the vehicle is about middle age now as far as cars go. But it's far from being sold to the junk yard. I love my car and plan on driving it for another 100,000, at least.

I guess it's only fitting that the body I live in and the car drive hit significant marks in their existence close to the same time. Turning 50 years old and achieving 100,000 on a vehicle in the same year only makes that year an even more memorable one.

So "Happy 100K" day to my Vue. I guess I'll end this post with a word of optimism and encouragement to both my car and myself. It's a paraphrase of one of my favorite quotes from the Robert Frost poem, "Stopping By The Woods on A Snowy Evening". We may be a bit older with some wear and tear on our bodies but we're nowhere close to the finish line or getting where we want to be. We both have "miles to go before we sleep".

No comments: