Thursday, July 22, 2010

Last VBS of The Summer & Back To Work

It's been a very busy, interesting and rewarding week so far. The two main things that have occupied most of my time are completely opposite of in nature. One was something I did for the last time this year and the other was something I hope to be doing for the rest of the year and foreseeable future.

First, beginning last Sunday night, I began participated in my third, and last, VBS of the summer. It was our new church in Edmonson county. I did "triple duty" this time around. I taught the music and the missions classes while doing ventriloquism two of the four nights.

Last night was the final night. It was a busy time but I got a great pay off. One of my fellow teachers named Ben introduced the kids (and me) to a song called "A Tooty Ta". If you've never heard it or seen the dance to it I can only describe it as a secular version of the old Sunday School favorite "Father Abraham". The dance has a lot of strange and potentially embarrassing movements to it; but it's a lot of fun.


At the end of the session last night everyone gathered in the church sanctuary for the closing ceremonies. The children sang and did the motions to 3 songs I had taught them all week. They did a wonderful job and I was very proud.

But then I got to stand back and watch all the VBS teachers, including the church pastor, do the "A Tooty Ta" dance in front of the children. It was a hilarious blessing to watch them reluctantly participate and laugh at themselves. Those few minutes and the relationships I got to build with the kids made the whole week worth it.

Secondly, I started back to work at Shop NBC on Monday. For most of the first day I really didn't want to be there. I was dreading getting back on the phones and taking calls. I was worried that I wouldn't remember what to do or how to do it. There are now standards of production that are even more difficult to achieve than before I was laid off.

But after a few days of calls I was back in "the groove. I realized that with the clear mind I had from the time off and a positive attitude I could get through the day and it not be so bad. While I'm not yet meeting the production standards with some more time on the phones I'll get there.

Sure I'd rather be home getting things done or just relaxing but wouldn't we all. So for a week that has held a significant change in my daily routine, returning to work, and the end of my summer ministry with the last VBS, it hasn't been so bad. It's been a bit rough on me but, thankfully, with God's help I've made it through.

Now I just have to find new opportunities to minister and perform when I can. Keep working on being a good call center rep and look forward to September when I get to go to Walt Disney World.

No comments: