Saturday, October 31, 2009

Rewind Recovery Project Complete

On June 11, 2008 I wrote a post announcing that I was going to begin a project to convert all my Rock & Roll Rewind programs, that I had recorded over a 20 year period, from cassette tape to CD.

Since that post whenever I've had the time I've gone to our church and used the equipment in the sound booth to convert the tapes. I am grateful for the free access that I've had to that equipment over this time. I am also proud to declare to you now that after 1 year 4 months and 20 days I have completed my Rewind Restoration Project.

I now have 37 programs (under the titles: Rock & Roll Rewind, Rock & Roll Countdown, Ron Haven's Music Machine, and Rewind Christmas) once again preserved on media, CDs that is relavant to current technology. I will soon be converting once again in the near future. This time to MP3 files to preserve them digitally as well.

In addition I'm going to be moving on to my next music project as well. I'm going to convert the songs on my more than 700 CD collection into digital files as well. This will take a lot longer than the Rewind project but can be done using my computer at home. I'm going to get a special 500 GB portable hard drive to store them. This will give me instant access and portability for all my music.

Listening to the Rewind programs as I have been recording them has made me miss the process by which I chose the music, wrote the scripts and made the recordings. I have so much more music in my collection now that there's a lot more material for new Rewind programs.

However I also realize that I have a greater responsibility to use my time for things that will benefit others and more importantl serve God in the way He wants me to serve Him. There's nothing wrong with writing and recording new Rewind programs in and of themselves. But when the time and effort it takes to produce them takes me away from other things I know should have a higher priority in my life; the things God wants me to be doing. Therefore, knowing thig, spending my time on such a relatively self-centered activity as making Rewind programs, according to God's word, becomes sin. That's something I want no part of.

So I've decided that I'm going to channel my desire to make another Rewind program into creating another Rewind Christmas program. They were always my favorite ones to write, record and listen to anyway. I won't have the time or the ability to complete a new Christmas show for this year's holiday season so I've come up with another plan.

In December 2010 I will celebrate my 50th Christmas season. I also plan on having reached my weight loss goal by then. So to celebrate both of those landmark achievements my plan is to write and record a Rewind Christmas program. I have gotten a lot of new Christmas music since I recorded the last Rewind Christmas program: Christmas In Kentucky in 1999.

So once again, I am proud to announce that the Rewind Restoration Project is complete and that the "CD to Digital Music Conversion Project" will begin soon. And remember, God willing, it will be Ron Havens presents: Rewind Christmas: My 50th Christmas for the holiday season next year.

No comments: