Thursday, October 15, 2009

I've Gone Nuts

In the month of October I've gone nuts. Now I realize most of you thought I was already there. But I don't mean that I've gone crazy or progressed to a new level of insanity. What I mean is that I've started craving cashews, walnuts, Brazil nuts, peanuts, almonds, and every other kind of nut found in a container of Planter's Deluxe Mixed Nuts.

I hadn't eaten any nuts since my surgery until the weekend of the wedding in the Smokey mountains. We took two large containers with us to serve at the reception and they were sitting on top of the counter in the cabin's kitchen all weekend.

A combination of my being anxious for something different to eat and a "hey I'm on vacation" attitude led my hand to venture into the jar for "only a few". Well that first handful led do another and then another. I don't know how many handfuls I had but there were several over the 2 days of our stay. I enjoyed them. It was a "vacation temptation" and it would have been find if I'd have stopped at the end of the weekend.

There was an entire container left over after the reception and we brought them home with us. Now there's really nothing wrong with eating nuts as a healthy snack. They are a good source of protein for the bariatric surgery patient; but they are also a little high in fat. My nutrition plan given to me by my doctor doesn't allow me to eat them until at least 6 months post op because of the carbs and possible difficulty digesting them. I handle them just fine.

Every day since we've been home I've had to eat at least an ounce or two as a snack. They seem to call my name from the kitchen. It's the first time I've been addicted to any specific food since my surgery. I'm pretty certain its a mental thing but I could be craving them for some biological reason. I doubt it but it's possible.

To tell you the truth I really don't know why I've gone crazy over nuts. I was never really a big fan of them before surgery but now I have to have them. Perhaps it's just a passing phase. Maybe over time I'll get my fill of them and the habit will taper off.

The addition of nuts to my diet hasn't hurt my weight loss at all. I'm still losing consistently. I guess I shouldn't worry about it. As long as everything else continues to be going well and I don't eat an entire jar in one sitting; it's perfectly fine. I just wanted to relate my newest obsession with all my readers. I've gone nuts.

No comments: