Sunday, November 19, 2017

RHFactors Digest #5

It's been a while since I've done one of these type of posts. I've got a few things to share to catch you up on what's going on in "Ron's World" during the first half of November. 

I've already shared, in my last post, what I did on the first day, which got the month off to a very good start. 

 My upper respiratory issues had me down and out for the last days of October. The lingering effects, were still making me a less than 100% at the start of November, finally made going to the doctor unavoidable. 

I went to the local Urgent Care facility that's associated with my primary care doctor. Because of my symptoms this is how I looked when I sat in the "sick" waiting room. 
 I wouldn't have minded wearing a mask if I hadn't been the only one out of the half dozen people in the room wearing one. They even made me keep it on in the examination room until the doctor came in. 

After a brief examination I was prescribed an antibiotic for 10 days. It would do it's job in helping me get back to my usual self.  

Those of you who are Facebook friends have probably already seen a video about the event I am going to write about next. 

On Monday November 7, I went and stood in line to get some free tickets to an upcoming special holiday event. The give away was for the "Polar Express" event at the Historic Rail Park/ L&N Depot in Bowling Green. 

My daughter-in-law had been trying to take my granddaughter to this annual event for the last couple of years. Up until now she had never been able to get tickets. 

This year she asked me try and get them. I was more than happy to do it. But I almost messed the opportunity. 

Initially, I thought the ticket give away was at a local car dealership. At 8:30AM I was sitting in the parking lot of Jim Johnson Nissan on Scottsville Road. 
 Now I knew from what Brandi had told me in the past, this was a very popular giveaway. It started at 9AM. But as I sat in the parking lot of the dealership I didn't see any sign of other people waiting. I realize something was wrong. It turned out to be me. 

A quick look at the ticket announcement on Facebook helped me realize that I was in the wrong place. I needed to be at the rail park for the give away, not at the business that was sponsoring it. With 15 minutes before the scheduled start I was nearly 4 miles on the other side of town.  

As quickly as I could I zig zagged my way through the streets of the west side of Bowling Green. When I got to the museum, I thought my mistake had cost me the chance to complete my quest.  

The lot was full of cars including the overflow parking area. I saw the line was already outside the front door. I drove around the entire building and couldn't find a parking place. 

I drove away resolved to the fact that I was going to have to tell Brandi that I let her down. 

But as drove down Louisville Road intended on heading home, I realized I shouldn't have given up so easily. I had made a promise to get those tickets, I needed to do all I could to do just that. 

I turned around and headed back to the museum. I was lucky enough to get there just as a car was pulling out of a parking spot to the right side of the building. 

I got in line on the left side of the front door about halfway down the outside of the building. 
One of the museum's employees came buy and handed everyone a slip of paper. There was a number on the back that, after a little bit of mental math, told me that I would be able to get tickets. On the front was some information that would allow me to predetermine my preferences for available show times. 
As the line advanced, slowly but steadily, a woman with a series of papers in her hand would come around and announce which tickets had been completely distributed. For example: "Monday December 5 at 7:30 is closed" was one of her announcements.  

The line formation once inside the line was set up in the center of the room so as to spiral from the center of the lobby out.
 It moved counter clockwise until you got to the box office at which was at the 5 o'clock position. 

You then went into another room where a group of ladies sitting at some tables were giving out the tickets. 
It took me about an hour to get to that point. A gentleman was at the entrance to the ticket room helping people get yet another accurate idea of what shows remained available. 
When I got finally got up to the tables, I stood in the line all the way to the right of the picture above. The tickets I decided on were not the exact one that I had wanted but it was the closest I could get. 

When I got back to my car I decided to make one of my "Hanging With Havens" videos. 

As I mentioned, I posted it on Facebook right after I finished it. For those of you who didn't see it here's the link to it on my You Tube channel. It tells about the whole experience in about 4 minutes. 
The Polar Express Experience

Every once in a while, in life, you come across something that requires minimum investment that gives you maximum return. I'm not just talking about financial decisions either.  

Last week, while shopping at my local Sam's Club, I discovered this little craft kit. 
I immediately thought of how much my wife and my granddaughter would enjoy doing this project together. It was only $13. 

This past Saturday, as part of Aria's weekend with us, they sat at our kitchen table and, together, made the nativity scene. 

They assembled, painted, and applied stickers.
It took them about an hour to get it all done. They were proud of their finished creation. 
I was so pleased to see them work together.  Not only did they create a new display for our living room for Christmas...
...there will always be a reminder of the day they did it.  
Far as I'm concerned, that memory is an investment that's priceless. 

On Thursday, the 16th, for the second time this year, I went to my granddaughter's school to have lunch with her. This time it was in celebration of Thanksgiving. 

Paula couldn't go this time so I was Aria's guest along with her mom and one of her mom's closest friends, Brittany. 

The experience was a little different than the last time but it was still fun. Aria was happy we were there. 

After we finished lunch, Brandi and Brittany had to leave. Like last time, I went with Aria back to her classroom for a few minutes. 

When we got there she gave me this Thanksgiving themed art work she made. 
Also, like the last time, she wanted me to stay with her for a while. But the teacher really didn't have anything planned. Shortly after we were back in the room, Ms. Wilson, distributed papers to the children for a class activity. 

It was at that point that I said "good-bye" to Aria. She handled me leaving a lot better than she did the first time. 

So there you have a few of the memorable things that have happened so far in November. 

Before I go I want to give you a bit of a "sneak peek" into what one of my next posts is going to feature. 

Although I write about Lego quite often; I haven't devoted an entire post to it since early this year. But this picture gives you a glimpse of the most interesting project of the year. 

 I'll share more in that future post. 

In case I don't get the chance to write again before the holiday, I want to wish you and all my blog readers a Happy Thanksgiving. 

Remember a heart that is full of thankfulness and gratitude is one which can also accomodate happiness. God Bless.   

Lego Christmas builds

No comments: