Monday, October 9, 2017

Ordinary October...So Far

It's been about a week since my last post. So far things in October have been rather ordinary at least for me. You might say that it's been an "Ob-La-De Ob-La-Da" 8 days for me because, to put it simply, life goes on.

Here's what I've been up to, lately.   

On the last day of September my wife and I took our granddaughter to "Smiths Grove Days" here in town. Of course she wanted to get her face painted. 

Later in the day we all took a walk to the end of our street so that she could feed the neighbor's horses. 
She spent the night with us and most of the next day before her mom picked her up. Those type of visits are memory builders for all of us. 

On the following Friday, the 6th, instead of going to the Nashville zoo with them, as planned, I got to spend time with Aria and Gabriel in their playroom at their house. We had a good time playing together.   

Monday, October 2, was anything but ordinary. That morning I woke up to the horrible news of the shootings in Las Vegas. 

As the details were coming in, it got worse and worse. Over 600 people hit, 58 dead. Hundreds of Iives have been changed forever. 

The stories of heroics and self-sacrifices from that horrible night are what proves that the human spirit will always ultimately triumph over unthinkable evil. 

I'm just the writer of a simple blog I'm not a real political man. However I do have my own humble opinions in regard to all of the things surrounding this tragedy. 

The one thing I will say is that what we've been told about the man responsible just doesn't match up with his actions. Something just doesn't add up. The scale and level of this attack simply cannot be the work of just one man. 

Even if he was the only one to bring the arsenal of guns into the hotel room and open fire on those 22,000 innocent people; those who assisted him in any way, shape, or form are culpable as well.  

When it comes to buying into conspiracy theories (on a scale of 1-10) I'm about a 5. But for me, based on some of the reports I've seen online there's more to this attack than we are being told. We probably will never know the whole truth. That's all I have to say about that. 

The rest of the week was spent mostly at home taking care of things around the house. 

My son, James, celebrated his 29th birthday on the 5th. Because I try my best to make sure my family members have cake or some kind of their favorite baked goods on their birthday, I made a pan of the brownies he likes, just for him. I took them over to his house the afternoon of the 4th.  


Also in October I find myself back into the habit of working on my Lego kits again. 

Here are the 3 models I assembled last week...

 A representative of The New York City Skyline (Lego Architecture #21028) ...
 ...a miniature Double Decker Bus              (Lego Creator # 40220)...
...two versions of the Toy & Grocery Store (Lego Creator 31036).
I also changed my Lego Calendar display to an October theme. 

The "Doberman Gang" dvd set I mentioned in my last post arrived during the week. I watched both movies. Even though the movie was much worse than I remembered (the dogs are better actors than the humans) I still liked the idea of the film and love the theme song. I learned that it was the first film scored by Academy Award winning composer, Alan Silvestri.  

The second movie, The Daring Dobermans, which was released a year after the first one, is basically a repeat of the same story. 

The only thing I found the least bit interesting about it was that a 23 year old Tim Considine was one of the main co-stars. 

Some of you older folks may remember Considine as a child star for Walt Disney productions. He played in the Mickey Mouse Club serial, The Adventures of Spin & Marty, as well as the film, The Shaggy Dog. 

As a teenager he played, Mike, the oldest of the Douglas boys in the 60s sit-com, My Three Sons.   

This past weekend was a quiet one for us here at the Havens homestead. We caught up on the new seasons of our favorite shows: Scorpion, NCIS, Law & Order: SVU, Criminal MInds, Designated Survivor, Gotham, and This Is Us. We also finished the first season of the Netflix series, "The Crown."  

In addition we watched 2 movies that we missed in the theaters: "Money Monster" from 2016 and "Prisoners" from 2013. If you want to find out about them you can look them up on IMDB. They were entertaining but I'm glad we didn't spend money going to the theater to see them. 

Finally, I have to mention that this week the New York Yankees started their 2017 playoff run. Now I know this may not seem like a big deal but it is to me. I live or die with the Bronx Bombers in the playoffs. They win, I am euphoric. They lose I get depressed. During the games I get stressed and frustrated. I can't help it I'm a life long fan. 

I first felt the sting of disappointment as a Yankees fan at the age of 15 when during the last week of the 1975 season they were eliminated from making the playoffs. 

The next year I experienced the joy of victory as Chris Chambliss hit a history making pennant winning walk off home run off Mark Littell of Kansas City Royals. It sent the Yankees to the World Series for the first time in 10 years.  

Even a disappointing 4 game sweep in the Fall Classic by the Big Red Machine of Cincinnati couldn't dim the feeling of success I experienced as a Yankees fan that season. 

Now it's more than 50 years later and I'm just as, if not more, emotionally tied to the Yankees when they are in the playoffs. I don't expect them to make it to the World Series but I hope they do win at least one series and make a decent showing in the ALCS. Only time will tell. 

As I write this post they are facing elimination in their American League Division Series with the Cleveland Indians. I don't know what's going to happen but whatever does I will be there to see and feel it. 

Before I end this post I just want to welcome those of you who are reading my blog for the first time. I have become aware that I am getting a little higher rate of page views on a daily basis. This means more new readers are coming aboard. I appreciate those of you who have shared this blog with others. I'll try my best to keep on posting so you'll keep coming back. 

   

No comments: