Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Finally, I'm Back...Again

Well, it's been a month since my last post and (for about the 100th time since I started this blog) I apologize for being gone for so long.  

Unlike previous absences from this blog, it wasn't for lack of material. I had plenty of things to write about. My problem was finding the time to do it. 

But I am back now and here's what I have been up to over the last month. 

During my time away, I helped my granddaughter celebrate her birthday, on April 17th. She turned 4. 

On the 19th my grandson, Gabriel, turned 6 months old.  

On the last weekend of April my two sisters, who live in Pennsylvania, came to visit with my Kentucky family. They met Gabriel for the first time, played with Aria and caught up with everyone else. 

It was the first time I'd seen my sister, Peggy, and brother-in-law, Gene, in 5 years. It was great to see them again. Although it had been a while, once they were here, the time we spent together was filled with the spirit and joy that only family can bring.

While they were here, my daughter-in-law hosted Aria's birthday. It had a "My Little Pony" theme. Once again, the food, decorations, and cake were imaginative and wonderfully creative. Brandi and her family always do a great job. 

I had volunteered to run the games. Although they didn't go exactly like I had planned the kids had fun. They pushed apples with their noses, blew papers off straws, and had confetti from a small can poured over them. Each of them went home with a prize. 

My PA family stayed until the 2nd of May. It was a nice visit that passed by way too quickly.  

On the day that my sisters left for home, I took part in a special event at Oakland Baptist Church. It was a day put together to reward the students of North Warren Elementary School for accomplishing their reading goals during the year. 

As part of the opening ceremonies, I played a game with the kids that involved opening plastic cans for prizes. 

The grand prize was a $20 Dairy Queen gift card. 

The theme of the day was "find your voice" which the children explored by attending several mini-classes focusing on various types of vocations they could pursue when they get older. 

My class was a bit different in that it focused on ventriloquism. Over the course of 6 hours I taught close to two hundred 1st through 6th graders the secrets of this art and how they could get started. 

In doing this I brought along Cecil the Turtle...
...My Lion and my other puppets (all bunched together on the pew to the right). 
It had been a while since I had the opportunity to have fun and teach some kids. Most of them seemed to enjoy their time with me. I know I did. 

The experience has me thinking about getting back into working with my puppets again on a more regular basis. 

With the previous 3 weeks having been so busy, it was time for a little break. On the first Saturday in May, my wife and I headed south to spend our first full week ever, at the beach. 

That beach was part of the Emerald coast of the Florida panhandle. 

It was a nice relaxing week that was a lot of fun. I want to share some of the wonderful details with you. But I'm going to wait to do that in my next post. 

Thanks for coming back to my blog. Now that you are caught up on what I was doing over the last 4 weeks I hope you will come back as I get back to generating content for you to enjoy over the rest of the year. Catch you next time.  







No comments: