Sunday, October 18, 2015

On The Aisle

As we reach the halfway point in the month of October, we are smack dab in the middle of the fall movie season. 

I have seen just a few of the fall movies so far but I do have some opinions and recommendations about them. 

Everest:  If you are interested in this "based on a true story" movie I'd recommend you see the 3D version. 

The cinematography and special effects are the best things it. Overall, it looks great. 
There were only a couple of scenes where it looks obvious that it was filmed on a movie set.  

The story is very slow and doesn't have a lot of action or suspense at all. The characters are very stereotypical. 

If you're looking for an entertaining visual experience, go to the theater to see this film. Otherwise, I would wait for the home video.

Scorch Trials: This sequel to "The Maze Runner" wasn't bad for the 2nd film of a series. There's nothing original about this story set in a post  apocalyptic  world. At one point in the middle of it the movie turns in to a nearly totally different type of film. I won't provide any spoilers but I'm glad it went back to the main story rather quickly. 

If you liked "The Maze Runner" and interested in what happens to the characters you'll enjoy this film. 

Crimson Peak: We saw this one on it's opening weekend. Paula was anxious to see it because the trailer made it look so good. Plus Tom Hiddleston (Loki from the Marvel movies) was in it and he's a very good actor. 
We saw it at the Imax theater in Nashville. But even the enormous  screen couldn't save this one. 

The plot is very predictable, procedural and holds almost no surprises. There are ghosts that look great but do almost nothing. 

The characters are, at times, interesting, but fade into dullness and never get back. 

I still can't figure out how they can live in that house in the condition it's in, especially in the middle of winter. 

It was very disappointing. I'd skip it in favor of some other horror film that comes out this Halloween season.   

The Martian: Men going to Mars has been the subject of at least a dozen movies in the past. However, this one is perhaps the best of them all. 

Matt Damon puts in a performance  reminiscent of Tom Hanks, but with his distinctive personality and very amusing ironic and situational humor.   

Again, I'm not going to give away any spoilers. Let me just say that at various times,"The Martian" reminded me of "Alien", Apollo 13", "Castaway", "Gravity" and "Star Trek 4". But it is in no way a copy of any of them. 

I went by myself to see this movie but I am going to make sure I take my wife to see it. Experiencing it a second time will be well worth it.

So there you have my take on the 4 fall movies I've seen. If you want to get the most for your movie dollar, by all means, go see "The Martian".  




No comments: