Tuesday, September 11, 2012

11 Years Ago

Always Remember...
Nothing else can be written today except words that remember the world changing events that happened on the island of Manhattan in New York City 11 years ago. 

As Alan Jackson would ask in his song about that "September day", Where were you when the world stopped turning? 

Everyone has a story about September 11th. In my 2001 yearbook I shared how I experienced and watched that morning unfold. 

What I saw on the television was so surreal. It seemed like something out of a movie. But it was all too real. 

I am grateful that we had the leadership in place that we did at the time. In his book, Decision Points, George W. Bush, discusses the actions and choices that he and his administration made to keep the nation from panic and react to the "act of war" that had forever changed us as Americans. 

New York City, the Pentagon, and a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania are all places where Americans gave their lives in sacrifice to save others. The passengers of Flight 93 giving their lives to bring down the 4th plane before it could do any harm. I am forever thankful for their sacrifice. 

In 2007 I made a brief visit to "Ground Zero" where the World Trade Center once stood. I drove past it but didn't get a chance to stop and see much. But just being in that area gave me a sense of what it must have been like that fateful day. 

Recently I stood on the Sky Deck of Chicago's Willis tower looking out over Chicago 103 floors above the street. I couldn't help but think of and wonder about the last moments of those trapped on the upper floors of the two burning towers.  

But even though we may never know all that happened to everyone on that day; what we do know is that we will never forget the evil men who were responsible. 

Even though many of them, including Osama Bin Laden. have   received the ultimate justice they deserved it is my prayer that  the United States and it's law enforcement and intelligence agencies will remain every vigilant. 

May the events of September 11, 2001 be the last time our country is ever the victim of such an attack. 




  

No comments: