Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Musical Blessing

The Couriers: (left to right) Duane, Neil, Dave

Since today we are celebrating freedom in our country and the this story has strong ties to a song called "The Statue Of Liberty". I thought today would be a good day to write about this recent blessing in my life. 

I grew up listening to and enjoying the music of a gospel group named “The Couriers”. The trio of Dave Kyllonen, Duane Nicholson, and Neil Enloe are as much a part of my Christian heritage as the church I grew up in.

Neil Enloe is the song writer of the group. He has penned over 50 gospel songs. The best known of these being the 1976 gospel song of the year: Statue Of Liberty. The song acknowledges the symbolic importance of the “lady” who stands in New York harbor to our freedom as Americans and symbol of the cross that once stood on a hill called “Calvary” and its symbolic value to the Christian faith.

A few years ago I had the honor of singing this song at my church on July 4th. Because of the continued popularity of the song in the Christian music community, I was able to find an instrumental accompaniment to use for my solo.

Unfortunately that was not the case with some of my other favorite Couriers songs. I conducted extensive research of all the Christian music websites and online catalogs I could find. I was only able to find an accompaniment for just one other Neil Enloe song. But I wanted more.

Now you may be asking why am I so set and determined to find these songs. After all there are thousands of other gospel songs available to sing. I’m afraid there’s really no way to explain to you how intricately the Couriers’ songs are interwoven into the fabric of my life and the foundation of my faith as a Christian. But they mean so much to me I am compelled to try and share them with those who have never heard them.

About two weeks ago during one of my periodic search for Couriers music on the web I came across Neil Enloe’s email address. I decided that with all other resources coming up empty I’d ask the song writer himself. 

In the email I sent him a list of the songs I was looking for asking his advice on where to look for their accompaniments.

I never expected his reply to include downloadable mp3 files of the exact songs I’ve been looking for. That’s right Neil Enloe sent me accompaniments to all the songs titles I asked him about. It’s a blessing I never ever expected.

So now that I have them I can start practicing and eventually singing them in church in the near future. I will also use a couple of them in my ventriloquist act.

I am so grateful to Mr.Enloe for his generosity and kindness. Neil continues to tour and sing with his ministry companions of more than 50 years. I know in his travels he hears lots of stories from people about how his music has touched there lives. But none of the accolades or expressions of thanks are more sincere than mine. Thanks Neil.

No comments: