Saturday, June 26, 2010

Vacation Report Part 2

Tuesday, June 15
Before we went on this vacation Paula and I had been to at least 3 zoos together: Nashville, Philadelphia (twice), and Louisville. But on this day our plans included going to the National Zoo in DC.

We were both still really tired from the long day we had on Monday and the only animals were really interested in seeing were the Pandas. We decided that we would only spend about an hour or so at the zoo, which was located in the northern portion of the city.

Our GPS took us there in way that gave us an unexpected "tour" of the city that featured view of some rather interesting architecture. We circled around end of the National Mall near the Lincoln Memorial. So although we didn't get to see it up close we did see the back of the building.

Once we found the National Zoo we were surprised and a bit taken back about its location. It was in a very urban area. Because of difficulty trying to find a place to park, our fatigue issues, and in consideration of plans we had for the week that involved walking, we decided that we would just skip the zoo.

Having made that determination, we headed out of Washington and toward Pennsylvania. I was excited to be getting on I-95. I knew it was the one direct route that would take us to Philadelphia and then we could head toward Easton from there. The bad thing about I-95 was that we went through about 3 or 4 tollbooths. We paid $11 in tolls just to get to Philadelphia.

Once we got on the Northeast extension of the Pennsylvania I decided to stop in Quakertown so we could have lunch at a Boston Market restaurant. It's one of Paula's favorite places to eat. We had turkey and corn bread. The meal was delicious.

We arrived at our hotel (Holiday Inn Express) in Easton late that afternoon. We then went to my sister Peggy's house for dinner. Nearly all of my PA family was there. We had hamburgers cooked on the grill and other picnic type stuff.

After dinner my sister, Shari; Paula; my niece, Marci; her son, Jordon; and I walked to Shari's house (I don't even remember why now) which was about a 2 mile round trip. Paula & Shari walked at a rather quick pace. Marci, Jordon and I lagged behind. We had a great time laughing and joking during the walk.

On the way back we walked past the house where my aunt and her family lived when I was growing up. The house was really fixed up and the yard looked nice. Yet it still looked basically the same as it did 40 years ago or so when I would spend a week there during the summer.

Actually walking through the entire Southside area was like stepping into a time machine. That was the first of several times I got that "time travel" feeling during my visit. More about that a later.

Jordan Peter was so much fun on the walk. He gave his mom and I laughs all along the way. He managed (although not on purpose) to get15 minutes of comedy material out of a lightening bug landing on his finger and just staying there.

After getting back to Peggy's house the kids were asking for ice cream. There wasn't any in the freezer. So I loaded the kids into my Vue. We went to the store to get 1/2 gallon containers of ice cream and take them back to Peggy's.

About 10:00 both Paula and I were very tired. It was time to say "goodnight". We left and went back to our hotel. The bed was very comfortable and gave us both some very much needed rest.

I fell asleep happy about the fact that for the next couple of days I would be spending time with my sisters and their families in an area that I had once considered my home but hadn't seen in over 3 years. It felt good to be back.

Wednesday, June 16
The only "set" event on our calendar for our first full day in Pennsylvania was dinner at my niece, Melissa's, house.

After sleeping in we took our time at the hotel and then went and did some grocery shopping at the "Giant" food market.

During the afternoon Paula went shopping with Shari, Peggy, and Teejai. She had to get some groceries to make a side dish for the meal at Melissa's later that night.

I had agreed to pick Melissa up from work and take her home. At 12:30 I went by the downtown Easton WaWa to tell Melissa I would be there at 3 to take her home. That left me with about 2 1/2 hours on my own. I decided to go visit the cemetery where my parents are buried.

I took my time getting there and cruised Phillipsburg just to look around. I got lunch at the new convenience store (A WaWa market/gas station) that had been build on the site where Mom & Dad's bank had been for many years.

I spend a few minutes at Mom & Dad's grave "talking" to them. I told them all about what my life is like now (or as much as I could in such a short time). I told them how happy I am and that I am doing my best to actively follow Christ and minister to others. I also added that I would like to think that they would be proud of all I've accomplished since moving to Kentucky. I left by telling them that I filled with hope for the day I will get to see them again.

Soon it was time to go back to Easton and pick Melissa up from work. I took a back road that I used to drive all the time when I was an auto parts delivery driver. I even stopped at one of the garage's where I used to take parts. Hendershot's Garage was still open and the same father/son team worked there.

I took Melissa home and headed back through town to pick Paula up at Shari's house. I decided to go down Northampton Street, the main street in Easton. I parked between 9th & 10th street. I went into the NAPA auto parts store. It used to be Easton Electrical Devices, where I worked for 19 years.

Earlier I mentioned having a "time travel" feeling. Well when I walked into that store I warped back to 1999. The place looked basically the same as it did during my days as an employee. To perpetuate the feeling the guy who was my boss was standing behind the front counter on the phone helping a customer. "Mr. Jim Slifer!" I exclaimed. He looked up, smiled and called out my name. He looked a bit older (I found out that it was his 62nd birthday that day) but seemed to be still the same old nice guy.

We exchanged basic "so what's happening and where have you been" type conversation. I asked about the business and some of the old employees. He gave me an update on most of them. Of course there were comments about my losing weight. Then he asked if I'd like to go over to the office and see his son who was on working on a computer there.

We walked halfway through the store. Looked around as much as I could. The place was still the same. I walked past what was once the small engine sales counter. Past the water fountain under the stair that led to the 2nd level, up a step, through a door and into the office. It was still the same as well. I greeted Jim Slifer Jr. We exchanged brief pleasantries and updated each other on our lives.

It was then that I got a call on my cell from my sister asking me where I was and telling me that they were back from shopping. I said my "good bye" and left the store.

I walked across the street to a place called "Noto's Deli" to get a drink. I walked in and got a bottle of water from the refrigerated case and went to the counter to pay for it. While walking up to it I noticed that woman I used to be married to was working behind the counter. Another employee came over to the cash register to help me. The "ex" didn't speak to or even acknowledge me. I figured I was making her uncomfortable so I didn't say anything to her either. I wonder what she thought of my weight loss? I guess I'll never know.

The evening was a nice gathering of the entire family. There was a wonderful dinner which included meatballs and a Mexican chicken dish. After dinner we all just sat around and talked for a couple of hours. It doesn't sound like much but it was a very enjoyable evening.

Melissa lives in a very nice house in a very nice neighborhood in Forks Township about 10 minutes outside of Easton. I'm very proud of the life and home she has made for herself and her son "Bo".

Before heading back to the hotel I drove up through Forks Township. It's an area just outside of Easton that has really changed since I moved away. I drove through and noticed several new stores, restaurants and strip malls.

Our first full day in Pennsylvania was a long one but in comparison the next day would be even longer. However it would also be a milestone for the family. Something would happen that has never happened in Havens family before.

No comments: