Thursday, April 2, 2009

Pre-emptive Support

Late this afternoon my wife and I attended our first support group session in preparation for our upcoming WL surgeries. It was held at the health center in our local mall. There was about a dozen people there and they were in various stages of their weight loss programs. There was someone who had surgery over 10 years ago who is looking to get a "redo" as well as someone who had his surgery on March 18. Most of them had the gastric by pass and one had the lap band surgery. Our intention to have the "Switch" operation interested them very much.

I was a little skeptical about going but I'm glad I did. I was able to ask questions and express concerns about the diet and the new lifestyle that goes with the surgery. The people were open, honest, friendly and encouraging. They gave me hope that perhaps I will be able to make it to my goal weight someday relatively soon.

The group meets 2 times a month and the schedule will probably make a little difficult for me to attend on a regular basis (due to my work schedule). But I'll be going back when I can. I believe this group will be a key factor in my future success.

No comments: