Thursday, March 5, 2009

Finding Friends On Facebook

A lot of my co-workers at ShopNBC are college age or in their early to mid 20's. It's difficult to be around that age group working at a job that directly involves a computer without the discussion of popular internet websites. The one mentioned most among my young co-workers is Facebook. Several of them have mentioned their own Facebook page or those of their friend's or family.

From what I understand Facebook has exceeded "My Space" as the #1 website for social networking among 18-35 year olds. With all the talk I heard from my co-workers about it being different and "better" than My Space I became curious. So a couple of days ago I signed up.

After I filled out my profile I discovered something surprising. The website brought up a group of pictures and names of people already on Facebook under the heading "People You May Already Know". Initially I was confounded as I read through the list of names. There was my best friend, Brent; my two sisters, Peggy & Shari; my pastor and his wife; quite a few of the people who go to my church and more. There were a lot of people I would never have expected to find there. I later found out that the website uses your email address book and profile information to search for a potential friends.

Anyway I've sent out some invitations to be friends with some of my family members and friends and accepted those I've received. I still have a lot to learn about Facebook.

I enjoy the potential for socializing that Facebook has but what I'm really looking at by getting involved is the networking aspect of it. I've heard quite a few businesses and entertainers use the phrase "look for us on Facebook." That makes me think that I could use the website to do some networking and publicity for my ventriloquism instead of trying to create my own webpage. Now that I'm signed up I'll have to actually go visit those websites that I've heard advertised and see how they're being used. Uh...as soon as I learn how to find my way around, that is.

To sum it all up I'm not sure if Facebook is something I'm going to want to get involve with or not. Only time will tell. I'll keep you updated.

No comments: